Youth Social Therapy Group
This group will provide an opportunity for children and adolescents to learn social thinking concepts developed by Michelle Garcia Winner and practice social skills through supported interactions with peers in a safe, therapeutic environment. This group is designed for individuals with high functioning autism spectrum disorders and those with social skill challenges and who are interested in meeting new friends and expanding their areas of interest.
This group meets every Saturday, staffed by counselors and an art therapist. The opportunity to interact with same aged peers can be a very therapeutic experience with a support group providing social thinking strategies designed to promote personal growth and expansion of areas of interest as well as perspective taking that allows for deeper, lasting friendships. The individuals in this group will then have the supported opportunity to practice their personal goals in the area of emotional growth.
Group meets every Saturday from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. for children ages 6 to 10 years old.
Group meets every Saturday from 12:00 to 1:30 p.m. for youth ages 11 to 14 years old.
Benefits of Social Therapy Group:
- Acquire skills to successfully navigate through everyday social situations with greater confidence.
- Learn how to navigate verbal and nonverbal behaviors involved in social interactions
- Determine perspectives and intentions of others
- Develop positive relationships with people
- Understand how to “read” body language
- Interpret the social signals of other people
Contact us at New Transitions Counseling Center for more information. We also have recreational therapy autism support groups for adults over the age of 19 years old.