New Transitions Teen Center
By incorporating a teen center into its facility and its services for adolescents, New Transitions is truly unique among private counseling practices in the Northwest Suburbs. The teen center provides a valuable tool for adolescents and young adults facing a broad range of emotional, social, behavioral, and developmental challenges. The teen center is a safe, fun, informal setting to help youth improve their social skills, increase their self-confidence, and learn to have more successful, socially viable and meaningful interactions with peers and adults.
Benefits of the Teen Center
- Participants can meet new friends and expand their areas of interest.
- Develop a sense of belonging — affiliation and trust.
- Create meaningful interactions with peers and staff.
- Receive informal counseling, and emotional support from both peers and staff.
- Improve self-esteem.
- Learn to resolve conflicts.
- Try out new solutions in a safe, informal setting.
- Acquire and practice skills to more successfully navigate through everyday social situations outside the Teen Center.
The Teen Center is available to clients of New Transitions by arrangement with our staff. It serves youth who are struggling with challenges like depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, and insufficient social skills — including those with ADHD, and higher-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders — and youth with issues like being bullied, impaired self-regulation or a lack of social/emotional maturity.
There are two Friday evening sessions, one from 5 to 6:30 P.M. for ages 10 through 14; and one from 6:30 to 8:00 P.M. for ages 15 through 20.